Children’s lifestyle brand, Worlds Apart helps families make the most of growing and understand the difference a good night’s sleep can make – especially to families with young children.
Suspecting that there were a fair few parents experiencing toddler sleep problems, Worlds Apart conducted a survey to find out more. The results of that survey were quite surprising: 1 in 6 parents said they lost the most sleep when they were moving their child from a cot to a big bed.
Challenging the idea that broken sleep stops once children reach the age of two, Worlds Apart’s are looking to support parents who are still struggling to get a solid night’s sleep well into the toddler years.
In order to do this, Worlds Apart is working with children’s sleep expert Mandy Gurney, the founder of Millpond Children’s Sleep Clinic, who has written a Toddler Sleep Guide, in which she addresses common toddler sleep problems.
Here for Mojomums Mandy outlines her tried and tested sleep tips for getting your little one ready for bed and in the right sleep routine:
Mandy comments ”Aim to carry out the same series of steps every night, about 30 minutes before your child goes to bed – comprising of”:
- A warm bath – a warm relaxing bath lasting no longer than 10 minutes. A bath before bed should not be playtime as this could over stimulate your tired child, waking them up again. Go straight from the bathroom into the bedroom – do not go back into the living area, as you will lose the focus of the routine.
- Lighting – dim the lights in the bedroom ready for your return from the bath – this will help with the production of the sleep hormone melatonin.
- Story time – read 1 or 2 stories, have a cuddle and kiss goodnight and tuck them in with their favourite soft toy so they are warm and cosy.
- Time alone – now that they’re drowsy, leave the bedroom so that they learn to fall asleep independently. Your child should be asleep about 15 minutes later.
- If your child is afraid of the dark, offer them the reassurance of a GoGlow® light to have nearby when they need it. You could even play hide and seek, in the late afternoon, using a GoGlow® torch, so they realise there’s nothing to be afraid of.
Worlds Apart want to help every family get a good night’s sleep, and they have developed a characterful range of products that promote peaceful nights. Explore their HelloHome furniture, GoGlow lights and ReadyBeds in more detail, and find out about their exciting new products for 2014.
To learn more about how to move your toddler to a toddler bed, please look at Mandy’s toddler sleep guide on www.worldsapart.com