It seems the Great British Summer is finally starting to show itself with some beautiful sunny weekends and what better way to celebrate than to get together and have a good old BBQ?
Forget those boring old sausages and burgers and try out these yummy marinates to add a kick to any BBQ…
Chilli Chicken Kick
Tasty chicken wings, marinated in a delicious and spicy Hellmann’s mayonnaise sauce.
Makes 12 wings
Calories per serving (based on 83g): 160
12 chicken wings (or 6 drumsticks)
3 dollops* Hellmann’s Mayonnaise with a spark of Chilli
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon runny honey
2 spring onions
- Make the marinade by mixing together the mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, honey and chopped spring onions.
- Season with pepper and rub the marinade all over the chicken wings.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least three hours, or overnight if you have the time.
- Once marinated, BBQ the wings over a medium heat until they are sticky, golden and cooked through.
Great with grilled vegetables.
For more ideas visit https://www.hellmanns.co.uk/
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
- 100ml natural yoghurt 1 Knorr Curry Flavour Pot
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
300g lamb, cubed
- 1 small courgette, cut into chunks
- ½ red pepper , cut into chunks
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
1 Mix together the first 3 ingredients and coat the lamb. Cover and leave for 1 hour.
2 Thread the lamb onto skewers with the vegetables and cook under a preheated grill for 4-6 minutes, turning regularly
3 Serve with your choice of chutneys and pickles
Bacon & Avocado Mayo Burger
A terrific bacon burger that’s great for the kids made with a Hellmann’s Mayonnaise and avocado dressing.
PREP TIME 20 min
400g lean mince beef
4 rashers lean bacon
1 small red onion
4 burger buns
For the avocado mayonnaise
2 dollops* Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
1 ripe avocado
- Place the mince beef in a medium sized bowl, season with pepper and mix well. Divide the mince into 4 evenly sized balls and flatten into burger shapes with the palms of your hands.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh and then cut into even sized cubes.
- Place the avocado in a small bowl, then add the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, season with pepper and mix well.
- Place the burgers on the BBQ. Cook the burgers for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or to your liking. Once cooked remove and keep in a warm place. Now cook the bacon for 1 minute on both sides, until crispy.
- Place the burgers in the buns, top with tomatoes and onions, then the avocado mayonnaise and finish with the crispy bacon and serve.
Chicken & Chorizo Salad
Mouth-watering chicken and chorizo salad, served with a delicious dressing of Hellman’s mayonnaise and wine vinegar
Calories per serving (based on 210g): 269
4 chicken breasts
250g cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons tarragon
1 clove garlic
4 dollops Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Mix together the oil, vinegar, crushed garlic and tarragon
- Stir the chicken breast chunks and marinade for 30minutes
- Preheat the BBQ or the grill. Thread the marinated chicken and chorizo slices onto pre-soaked wooden skewers and BBQ or grill for around 10minutes, or until cooked
- Meanwhile, mix the rocket and tomato to form a salad
- Mix the mayonnaise with the vinegar and season with pepper, gently stirring through the salad
- Remove the chicken and chorizo from the skewers and serve scattered over the salas
- Serve with bread
Servings: 4 as a starter
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
25g butter – Healthy tip: Use Flora Buttery
450g raw king prawns , shelled and deveined
1Knorr Garlic Flavour Pot
1lemon, zest and juiced
2tsp fresh chopped chives
- Heat the oil butter in a non-stick frying pan, when gently sizzling add the prawns and the Knorr Garlic Flavour Pot.
- Fry until the prawns turn pink, add the lemon zest, juice and the chives .
- Serve with crusty bread.
RAISE A PG TIPPLE
PG tips creates a ‘tea cup’ cocktail
PG tips has developed a new take on the traditional cuppa – a ‘tea cup’ cocktail.
Working with Rebecca Seal, drinks expert from Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch, the Fruit Cup style cocktail takes inspiration straight from the royal family and Britain. Made with quintessentially English ingredients this results in a rich and refreshing PG tipple packed full of Britishness and served in dainty tea cups.
Ingredients in a PG tips ‘tea cup’ include:
– Strawberries – as a major crop in Cambridgeshire, these summery English berries are perfect to include as part of a royal celebration
– Rose petals
– Sparkling wine
– PG tips The Rich One – like red wine, all tea contains tannins, which gives drinks a wonderfully rich flavour. We’ve used PG tips The Rich One for its full-bodied taste
– Gin – a quintessentially British ingredient and, according to Rebecca Seal, the botanicals used to make gin (like juniper) perfectly complement the flavours in tea
– Cucumber – from a dainty finger sandwich at traditional afternoon tea
– Apple juice – from the fruit trees of the great British orchards
– Elderflower – from the hedgerows that line England’s green and pleasant land
– Mint – from English country gardens
A ‘tea cup’ cocktail can be made either with or without alcohol and is perfect for a sunny garden party, to have with afternoon tea or as an aperitif before a barbecue.
To enjoy a very British punch in celebration of a potential future king or queen, the below recipe makes 10-12 teacups or 6-8 longer drinks –
6 British strawberries with the core removed
A handful of fresh mint leaves, ripped
100ml freshly boiled water
1 PG tips The Rich One teabag
50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 ½ lemons)
½ an unwaxed lemon’s rind, peeled and chopped
15ml elderflower cordial
100ml English apple juice
350ml soda water or sparkling water
350ml English sparkling wine (or cava)
For non-alcoholic punch:
Omit the gin and sparkling wine and use 150ml apple juice and 550ml soda water instead
Lots of fresh ice in big chunks
Slices of cucumber skin
Slices of strawberries
Step 1: In a pestle and mortar, roughly crush the strawberries and mint leaves together
Step 2: Mix the crushed mint and strawberries with the hot water, PG tips The Rich One teabag, sugar, lemon juice and rind then stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Leave to stand for 8-10 minutes, then strain, reserving the syrup
Step 3: In a large bowl or jug, mix the syrup with the elderflower, apple juice and gin to taste. (The mix can be chilled for a few hours at this point until ready to serve.)
Step 4: When ready to serve, add large blocks of ice, the soda water and sparkling wine. Stir gently to combine
Step 5: To serve, line teacups with a sliver of cucumber skin, shaved using a potato peeler, then fill the cup with fresh ice. Serve using a ladle
Step 6: Garnish with a red rose petal and a slice of strawberry in the shape of a heart
Drink responsibly – visit www.drinkaware.co.uk for more information.