With the hot British weather looking set to last the rest of summer, the focus on light and refreshing dishes has never been so prominent.
Those seeking a taste of the Mediterranean in their own back garden can enjoy Sopwell House’s Executive Head Chef Gopi Chandran’s exclusive recipe. Create a hydrating and vibrant watermelon and feta salad that will reinvigorate your usual salad staples and wow your guests at your next summer BBQ.
Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe
- ¼ Watermelon – Skin removed and diced 1 inch thick
- Feta – 200g diced or crumbled
- Kalamata olives – 50g pitted
- Red chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Olive oil – 10ml
- Garlic clove – 1 clove
- A sprig of thyme and rosemary
- ½ large lemon, remove rind and julienne (slice rind into thin strips). Juice the flesh
- Basil leaves – 10g
- Mint leaves – 10g
- To make the dressing, slowly and carefully heat olive oil, adding the garlic, chilli, thyme and rosemary, lemon rind.
- Gently heat for 3 minutes, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. It’s important to do this slowly to avoid burning any of the added elements.
- Set aside to cool
- To serve, spread the diced watermelon in the desired dish, sprinkle the feta on top, spoon over olives and distribute the dressing evenly.
- Finish with a fine chiffonade of basil and mint – this will bring out all the flavour.
Sopwell House’s delicious recipe is best served on the hotel’s terrace in the sunshine with a delicious Gin Experience Cocktail or glass of Champagne on the side. However if you’re recreating at home we’d love to know, so be sure to tag us on social #SopwellHouseRecipes